Where young men and women from 14 – 18 years old meet at the Sailing Club in South Shields on Tuesdays from 7:30 – 21:30 during the Autumn and Spring terms and from 18:00 – 21:30 for sailing during the Summer term.
With the support, direction and guidance of Unit leaders, Explorer Scouts are encouraged to lead themselves, design their own programme and work towards the top awards that Scouting offers. Explorers also have the opportunity to be a part of The Young Leaders’ Scheme which develops their leadership skills and sense of responsibility, by helping to run meetings for younger sections.
If you would like to join us please contact us but please be aware that we have a waiting list and have to give priority to children moving up from our Scout section.
The Purpose of Scouting
Scouting exists to actively engage and support young people in their personal development, empowering them to make a positive contribution to society.
The Values of Scouting
- As Scouts we are guided by these values:
- Integrity – We act with integrity; we are honest, trustworthy and loyal
- Respect – We have self-respect and respect for others.
- Care – We support others and take care of the world in which we live.
- Belief – We explore our faiths, beliefs and attitudes.
- Cooperation – We make a positive difference; we cooperate with others and make friends.
The Scout Method
Scouting takes place when young people, in partnership with adults, work together based on the values of Scouting and:
- enjoy what they are doing and have fun;
- take part in activities indoors and outdoors;
- learn by doing;
- share in spiritual reflection;
- take responsibility and make choices;
- undertake new and challenging activities; and
- make and live by their Promise.